The Magnetic Motor
Learn the fundamental concepts underlying operation of electric motors.
Based on your laboratory experience with magnetic and electromagnetic motors, complete a written lab report with analyses of the following:
- Compare and contrast the tradeoffs for the two versions of the rotary magnet controller. What are the strengths and weaknesses of each version?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the battery alternator design? How might you improve it?
- Magnetic Motors
- Use an external bar magnet to rotate a neodymium magnet.
- Compare two designs for external rotary mechanisms that move a neodymium magnet.
- Electromagnetic Motors
- Use a battery and lead wires to control an electromagnetic motor.
- Use an external rotary mechanism to control an electromagnetic motor.